Friday, April 6, 2012

Venus Envy 2012, Baton Rouge Gallery

Last week while my daughter was out of school for spring break, we got away for a few days to one of my favorite getaway spots - New Orleans. We went to the Audubon Zoo (love that zoo!), the Aquarium of the America's, and the Insectarium. And of course, as always, we visited art galleries, the French Market, rode the streetcars and visited some wonderful New Orleans restaurants.


 A couple of notable adventures are when we wandered into a French art gallery on Royal and stumbled upon the art of Francois Gilot, Pablo picasso's lover and muse. She is now 90 and still painting. She is on the cover of Vogue (I think) with a spread about her upcoming show in NYC. And at our last night out, we had dinner reservations at Giovanni's restaurant (yum!) and ended up at a table next to ESPN's Dick Vitale. (No, I didn't take photos.) 

As usual, I'm craving beignets just thinking about our trip, but I know we'll be back. While we were there, I got notified that I had a painted accepted into a juried show. I haven't submitted art to juried shows in over 15 years, so this was so exciting. The show is the 14th Annual Venus Envy Juried Exhibition 2012. The theme for this show is "Too Much Pink" depicting the color pink (or lack of) in today's society. The juror for the show is Michaelene Walsh.

A blurb from the gallery website about the show: Every year, Baton Rouge Gallery and Venus Envy (a Missouri-based non-profit organization driven by women which positively affects everyone by empowering women through the arts) team up to present an exciting multimedia contemporary art exhibition showcasing the work of female artists in the southeastern United States. The 14th annual Venus Envy Baton Rouge exhibition will run April 17-26, 2012.

The reception for this exhibition is Saturday, April 21 from 7-9pm at the Baton Rouge Gallery Center for Contemporary Art, 1442 City Park Ave, Baton Rouge, LA. If you are in Baton Rouge, I hope you can drop by to see the exhibit.

That's all for now, but I will have more art to share next week. Thanks for dropping by and have a wonderful weekend.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful trip! I hope to visit there someday.

    Congratulations on the Show! Sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think New Orleans has to go on my bucket list - you always make it sound so appealing! Will need to eat a beignet (whatever that is - I think of a biali whenever I see the word) and eat at mimi's (those are down there too?) And visit art museums in the French Quarter. Or something like that :)

    ReplyDelete