Monday, June 1, 2015

June Mixed Media Monthly Challenge

It's been one year since the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog started. I'm honored to have been asked to stay on as one of the designers. It's so much fun to "play" with mixed media creations, and fun to inspire others.We are celebrating our one year "birthday" with guest designers and great prizes!

For the June 2015 challenge - we are letting you choose which technique to use. Choose from any of these:
Since it's summer, I'm in the beach frame of mind. Our sponsor this month is Maya Road. I fell in love with Maya Road years ago when I was heavily involved in the paper craft industry.



Maya Road was founded in order to offer unique scrapbook embellishments to scrapbookers, and since I transitioned in to mixed media, I find their products the perfect fit. I used wooden tokens, polka dot fabric tape and some twine. The technique I used was Number 5 - ribbon, twine and fibers.


I painted the wooden token with a light coat of acrylic paint (making sure not to coat the cute image in the token). It was a perfect center for the sun. I cut the fabric tape in to slender strips to make my fence, and used the twine for the fence wire. I went through my stash of words and letters for the quote, and found some rather older beach die cuts that were perfect for the surf boards. I outlined with a black Pitt pen with a fine nib.  The surface for this is a 5.5" wood board (1.5" deep). They are the perfect size for gifts and easy to work with.

Be sure to go to the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge blog to participate in this month's challenge and read up on all the rules to qualify. Some of the rules are:
1. You must use our challenge graphic in your challenge post. 
2. You must comment on at least 3 design team members blogs
3. You may combine with up to 4 more challenges


Link up your image to the link in the main blog.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great week!

36 comments:

  1. Just popped over from MMMC...what a beautiful canvas, love the layout.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to just hope right into your canvas. I love how you used the ribbon for the fence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love your wonderful canvas and the unique materials used - lovely and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A token? Great fun there! Works perfectly! My fav part is your cute little fence. It's all just so creative. j.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh so, wonderful project for summer. It put a smile on my face. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun project!!! Love that sun!
    Lilian
    http://theleafstudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Maya Road products, too, but unfortunately, they don't sell them at our LCS. Any speaking of love, I have 2 things to say: First, I love your bright beach scene; lovely cool water! And a great idea for the fence! And I wanted to thank you for leaving some love on my blog WAY back in April! I somehow missed your comment, but wanted you to know it meant a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Maya Road products, too, but unfortunately, they don't sell them at our LCS. Any speaking of love, I have 2 things to say: First, I love your bright beach scene; lovely cool water! And a great idea for the fence! And I wanted to thank you for leaving some love on my blog WAY back in April! I somehow missed your comment, but wanted you to know it meant a lot to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is soooo cute. love the fence and the sun

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is soooo cute. love the fence and the sun

    ReplyDelete
  11. oooh brilliant bright and summery canvas, we're off to the coast tomorrow and seeing this I can't wait !! Esther xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's still summer here in the Philippines, and still don't have a journal page about. Thanks to you for this inspiration. Keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely love this beach scene :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun beach scene..... makes me wish I was at the beach right now!!! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a fun summery canvas! Like the vibrancy and scale. So cheery! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a wonderful summertime plaque, love how you created the fence from the fabric tape and twine!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness, Melanie, I actually lived at the beach when I was very young, and I practically grew up on it through my childhood and teen years...such special, incredible memories that I wish I could give to my children. I loved the punched hearts on the sun. They collectively look like a string of lights--lighting layered on something that generates light--double meaning there, too. Was it intentional? This is a fun and playful canvas, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi libby - no, the string of heart lights was not intentional - I wanted to use the wooden piece for the center and I thought that since it said "always" - it sort of reinforced that "life is better at the beach" (always). :) thanks for the sweet comments.

      Delete
  18. Could not agree more with this sentiment! Lovely evocative canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, what a fantastic beach summer scene! I am so inspired! Love, love, love this amazing creation!
    Branka xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this! I'm ready to hit the beach now! =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is the most summery canvas ever! Im suddenly very inspired to find the yellow and blue paper! That slight powerdery blue makes an ever so delicate sky and I love how you have used the washi tape :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a fun canvas! This screams summertime! Love the little scene you created! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun summer canvas. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous summertime canvas that makes me want to head straight to the beach. Love the little surfboards and the giant sun.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the little touch in the middle of the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  26. it is such a nice beach themed card and lovely inspiration for me to take for your challenge
    Adhiraacreations

    Adhiraa@Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh wow do i love (and agree wholeheartedly with) this! I'd hang this beauty in my living room to admire every day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is so pretty. Love the scene. The sun is gorgeous. The fence is such a cute idea. I agree with the sentiment. I want to be at your beach. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a stunning piece of artwork Melanie - love all the texture and colour

    ReplyDelete
  30. You truly captured the feeling of the beach in your mixed media piece. I love the playful color combination and the textural elements. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Perfect summer project! Colorful and fun! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is such a fun, happy project. I love the creative use for the washi tape. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a fabulous Summery piece of art .You really have created a wonderful scene that just makes you dream of a day at the beach catching the rays. x

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is a really wonderful piece! Great creativity and use of materials.

    ReplyDelete