Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Spring Inspiration

I just spent the weekend with my husband in New Orleans. The weather was perfectly spring-like and I have come home full of artistic inspiration. We spent the majority of our time in the Marigny District dining and listening to live jazz music on Frenchmen Street. We always pick a different home rental in the area and "live like the locals". This time we were on Frenchmen Street in a wonderful old home with a beautiful courtyard. We brought our bicycles so we rode each morning to various cafe's for breakfast, and also rode into the French Quarter to browse art galleries. For those of you still in winter climate - I want to let you know that Spring is just around the corner.


Here we are at one of the Frenchmen Street outside art markets. It's always fun to visit because the set up is different every day.






We rode down Royal in the French Quarter and yes - that IS a guitar-playing unicorn. One night after dinner we were walking down the street and my husband asks "Do you think you'll run into anyone we know tonight?" I said - "I doubt it". Then 45 minutes later I hear my name being called and up walks an artist that used to live near me. We ended up going to an upstairs dance hall with her to see an internationally known Cuban dancer. You really just never know what or who you will see here.

So - are you here to play along with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge? We have a fun spring-themed photo for inspiration.


Here's our photo inspiration for the March challenge.

Our March sponsor is Waffle Flower Crafts. They have donated a $25 gift certificate for our challenge winner. Our guest designer is Tessa Wise from Waffle Flower Crafts.


Here's my take on the challenge. I was inspired by the colors in the inspiration photo. I used papers, cardstock, tape, paint, ink, paper doilies, stamps and stickers on this 5.5 wood block.



You can play along at the March Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog

Please follow these rules to be eligible for placements and prizes. Entries not following our rules will be deleted.

* You must use our challenge graphic in your challenge post.
* You must comment on at least 3 design team member's blogs. 
* Your post must link back to the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge post
* Add a link to your direct post, not your entire blog, a YouTube Video or a Pinterest Board
* You can combine with up to 4 other challenges. 
* No Backlinking allowed! Any back-linked entries will be deleted.
* You can enter up to 5 times, create whatever you want, and HAVE FUN!

You have until 11:55 pm EST on March 31 to enter!

Thanks for stopping by!!

































6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and joyful Spring canvas, thanks for sharing it! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun and cheerful project Melanie! Lovin' the happy blossoms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So perfectly spring! I also enjoyed reading about your weekend in New Orleans :) :) I've never been there and it sounds like an amazing place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fun and cheerful project, love the colours Melanie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun project! I love flowers...though, very allergic to them! =)
    Lilian
    The Leaf Studio

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE NOLA! I attended a boarding school in MS, so I was able to spend Spring break there with some family friends. I've been back there several time, including last Summer for a family reunion. Frenchmen Street is definitely awesome, and we like it 100% better than Bourbon Street. Magazine Street has some awesome shops and restaurants too. I love your collaged piece, which has a very jazzy feeling. Thanks for your visit and blessings!

    ReplyDelete