Sunday, November 1, 2015

Mixed Media Texture and IndigoBlu products

If you have been to my blog before, you know that I love mixed media. I love playing with papers, paints, ink and texture. For our November Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog projects, our challenge is texture. We were given a generous box of products from our sponsor - IndigoBlu, to play with. I received collage papers, both 12" and 6", and several bottles of acrylic paint from their English Cottage collection. I also received some of their new stencils from the Kay Halliwell-Sutton collection and some gorgeous stamps.


For my project, I layered the collage papers and added light coats of acrylic paint to unify the background. Then I used a crackle medium with the IndigoBlu stencils on various places of the project. I let it dry and dripped acrylic ink on the background first, then lightly added color here and there with acrylic paint. Then I freehanded the design with black paint and a fine brush. After the black dried, I painted the image. I was careful not to cover up the images of the collage papers underneath. After the image was painted, I used black Stayz On ink and stamped various images using the IndigoBlu stamps. I love the effect of texture and multiple layers. It adds so many dimensions and keeps your eye interested in the piece.



I hope you join us in this month's Mixed Media Challenge. In order to play along, please follow these rules to be eligible for placements and prizes. Entries without our Challenge Graphic or Link Back to us will be deleted.

* You must use our challenge graphic in your challenge post.
* You must comment on at least 3 design team member's blogs.
* Your post must link back to the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge post
* Add a link to your direct post, not your entire blog, a YouTube Video or a Pinterest Board
* You can combine with up to 4 other challenges.
* No Backlinking allowed! Any back-linked entries will be deleted.
* You can enter up to 5 times, create whatever you want, and HAVE FUN!

You have until November 30, 11:59pm EST to enter!

35 comments:

  1. Melanie, I love your whimsical bird as the focal image for this beautiful, colorful canvas. And of course, a wonderful verse! Your freehand design is really quite amazing ! There is so much yummy tactile and visual texture in this one piece! Very inspirational on so many levels! I would love to have this hanging in my home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sara. It's up for grabs on my art page on facebook. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/MelanieDouthitArtStudio/?fref=nf

      Delete
  2. Fantastic little bird sitting amongst a beautiful collaged background - wonderful texture throughout and such a cheerful piece! Makes me smile. xx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  3. My, OH My!!! Isn't this a delightful little gem!!! You ability to blend background and coordinate beautiful detailing and texture is most inspiring and a delight to gaze upon!!! I love all of God's wonderful nature going on!! Thanks so much for sharing this lovely work of art with us!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie,
    What a lovely,colorful canvas!! So tweet! heehee so sweet!
    Thank you for the inspiration.
    Jackie ")
    http://www.creatingwithoutcrayons-jackiepneal.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...so colorful, creative and fun Melanie. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so fun and whimsical. I love all the bright colors and the sentiment. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have such a way with colour. Wonderful project.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful and cheerful canvas! Gorgeous!
    ~~julia~~

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is so much to see in this wonderful and amazing project. A real work of art. Beautifully colourful, the background is gorgeous and all the little elements and attention to detail is so striking x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like how you used layers of color and texture to create such a rich background. The whimsy of your illustration is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the gorgeous paint layers, especially with the crackle - and that cute bird is adorable.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  12. A whimsical and charming garden you have created in your journal!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a bright and quirky piece with lots of texture. Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your happy canvas !! So many interesting things to see.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Your canvas is amazing! I love the summer mood in your garden :)
    Irena

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh! The bird is so cute, and the colors are so fun and bright. Just love it! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the beautiful piece you created. The layers of paper, paint stamps - all lovely - and I love the little bird.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazeballs! I love every single thing about this piece. I swear every time I've taken a look at it, I've seen something new that keeps me wanting to continue looking to see what's around that corner. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This just pops off the screen! Its fabulous and could easily grace tote bags or anything, its bright, cheerful and brilliant! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  20. An amazing project. Love all that texture in the BG and I'm in awe of your "doodling" talent!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just love all little details and colors you have used. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is fabulous, i really love this

    ReplyDelete
  23. This really is a wonderful project - makes me have positive thoughts! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  24. So colorful project! Love all the textures.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Super cute, so vibrant n colorful ❤❤ nice doodling..

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOWZERS! This is Awesome, I love all the texture and depth and the images are so colorful & interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  27. wohaaa, this is so cool, love the colors and the pretty bird <3

    Linda

    ReplyDelete