Sunday, January 8, 2012

Art and Artists' New Year Blog Hop

Last year I connected with a group of fabulous artists through the participation of Kelly Rae Roberts' ecourse. We have continued our interaction which has resulted in support, advice, inspiration and The Fly Tribe Girls Blog Hop!



We were asked to choose one word for 2012.
My word is: inspiration. 
Websters defines inspiration as:
-the action or power of moving the intellect or emotions
-the act of influencing or suggesting opinions
-the act of drawing in; specifically
-the drawing of air into the lungs

What do you draw inspiration from? Is it music? Are you inspired visually by taking a nature walk? Do you paint from your feelings deep within?

I love the definition that Webster's uses of "drawing in" and especially "drawing air into the lungs". Sometimes I feel I can actually "breathe in" inspiration. It can be either from sounds (music), visually (color combinations) or even from smells. I draw or make a note of the inspirations so I don't forget them and use them for later.

I also want to BE an inspiration. I love hearing from someone that they have been inspired by me, or by something I said or something they saw me do. If we all inspired others, it would be a chain reaction that would never end.

I have been inspired by music lately. There is scientific proof that light, color and sound are related, and I don't doubt it one bit. I met a blind artist a few months ago that said he "hears" color in music. Close your eyes and listen to your favorite music. Imagine what colors you can "hear". What color sounds happy? What color sounds energetic? Learn to tune in all of your senses in your art.

Here is my "inspiration" piece. It's called "Life's Been Good", and it was inspired by music.

"Life's Been Good", 20" x 20"  (sold to private collector).

Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I hope you received some inspiration. Feel free to leave me some feedback in the comments section, then continue on with the blog hop by linking back to the Fly Tribe Blog Here.


36 comments:

  1. Wonderful post - I had no idea that inspiration also meant drawing into your lungs. Fascinating!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the artwork, and of course, inspiration is a great word!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Melanie I can definitely hear the music in your piece. It is so light and joyful-love it. May you be inspired and inspire others in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie I loved reading your post about inspiration, your artwork is so pretty, wishing you an inspiring 2012 x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great word, love your art, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie, what a wonderful piece of artwork. Love it. Inspiration is a favorite word of mine and I use it everyday. I've never thought to "hear" color in music. What a wondrous idea. I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, Melanie! That beautiful piece IS inspirational!! I Luv it!! You are an amazing artist- keep inspiring us!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your word and your artwork. Hope you stay happily inspired throughout 2012! Glad to be flying with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the artwork is stunning! great word! I wish you the best inspiring year ever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely love your painting, and your story. I will check back more often to be inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an inspirational piece you've created, Melanie--just beautiful! I look forward to seeing all you create this year. Wishing you the best throughout 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful post and artwork! Inspiration is a wonderful word choice. Love the part you shared about drawing or breathing it in. Hope your year is full of inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Music inspires me as well! The song "Sing" by My Chemical Romance always gives me energy!

    I absolutely LOVE your piece too!! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Melanie, it worked!!! I am INSPIRED by your post and your artwork today. I LOVE the color, song, and light in your work. What a joy to stop by and hang out with you for a bit today. See you around the FlyTribe halls, okay!? Happy 2012. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. you truly are an inspiration to me and to so many others as well....im sure of it! Love your art so much!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Truly inspired words, I shall be listening for and breathing in colour from now on! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. That last "unknown" post was me - Clare Docherty but it wouldn't show my name for some reason!Cx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful artwork and wonderful post! Inspiration is on my list of favorite words and you have chosen well to guide you through the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic inspiration and beautiful color in the piece! Happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your artwork is just beautiful! I like the fact you noted that you want to be inspired as well as inspiring others. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Melanie - your post is absolutely beautiful - inspiration is a great word. Such a joy to read. Your artwork is fantastic! Happy 2012! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Melanie, I LOVE your word, inspiration, and your post!! Happy flying!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hmmm..really like the way you took the definition of inspiration to a whole new level. Great! BTW your site is looking absolutely fantastic....and I just want to tell you that your artwork inspires me!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your art so much, Melanie! I would love to see more of your process (speaking of inspiration. :)) It's been such a pleasure getting to know you. I'm looking forward to seeing your work this year.

    xoxo L

    ReplyDelete
  25. I found myself breathing deeply just reading this...I think you are an inspiration! and what lovely art

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such an inspiring post! I love the art that you featured -- just beautiful! Here's to an inspiring 2012 (got both of us)!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love your the artwork you chose to feature. And yes, your message is inspiring. Keep up the good work. I can tell you are going places. Glad to witness it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Melanie--it will be a good year for you especially choosing inspiration as your word. Music is also very inspiring to me as well. When I'm feeling like I need peace I love harp music, especially when I'm painting. Sometimes really upbeat music from my 20s gets me up and really making things happen.

    Here's to an inspiring you for all of us!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! Love your "inspired" painting. It's so happy. Wishing you the best in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I enjoyed this post and especially liked reading that you not only want to be inspired, but that you also want to be an inspiration! That will not be a problem - your art is wonderful and very inspiring already.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Am totally inspired and have been drawn in by it as well. Your story reminded me of the movie August Rush and if you haven't seen it, please put it on your to do list. Every artist can't help but be inspired by its greatness.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love, love your painting and your word. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a wonderful post. It is so truthful what you wrote about inspiration. I love your painting too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. love this. it's so juicy! I can really see the colors and texture of the music. thanks for the inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Always love your artwork, it's so happy and bright! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete