Saturday, August 6, 2011

I now have art in Ouachita River Art Gallery

With all the other activities going on this week, I haven't had time to mention that I've just joined a local co-op gallery in my city - The Ouachita River Art Gallery. The Ouachita River Art Gallery recently won the award for Best Gallery in the Delta. I'm so proud to be joining the other artists there. I'm not a stranger to this gallery. I was a member in 1996-1998. I mostly worked in watercolor then. It's nice to see many of the same familiar faces that are still a part of this group.

Here are a couple of the recent pieces I created recently and have hanging there. I've been working on a series called "Journey to Oz".


In my "Oz" painting, I have included Emerald City, poppies and more Oz flowers, a hint of the yellow brick road, a bird (well, you know - where bluebirds fly),the really big puddle amidst the poppies.. that's the melted witch, the twister, and amidst the twister you can see some trees that represent the forest. All in all, it was a fun journey to create.

"Oz", 30" x 24" , acrylic on canvas with gallery style moulding



I had so much fun with this painting. I used burlap to add unexpected texture to the poppies. My daughter walked in my studio after they were painted and said "Oh, mom, you added pizazz to your painting". Pizazz - I like that word.

"Poppies, Poppies.". 36" x 24", acrylic and mixed media on canvas with gallery style frame moulding

Thanks for stopping by!! I know I've had a lot of blog posts this week. Have a great day!

6 comments:

  1. Just stopping by from the ecourse to say "hi" ... Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, Melanie, beautiful! I especially love the first one--so many great layers and depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your art is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I love the Oz painting. It looks like stained glass. What a fun series to explore.

    Thanks for visiting my blog. And yes, I'm kind of a organize freak, so my supplies are usually arranged in some sort of manner.

    I visited New Orleans for the first time back in May. Some dear friends of ours moved from Austin to Mandeville. We loved it and can't wait to return.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I'm popping in from Flying Lessons. Just love your art especially the first piece in this post. The colors and textures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks everyone for the nice comments. :)))xoxox

    ReplyDelete