Friday, April 12, 2013

Mixed Media Bird and Recycling

I've been working on some new rather large pieces lately (including a mural which I'll share soon). I finally finished the last of this batch today and finally had time to play with my mixed media. I've been loving the challenges Mou has been posting on the Faber Castell Design Memory Craft blog, so I took the challenge today. She asked us to upcycle something creatively. So.... Here is what I did.



I started with a 5.5" square wood block that I prepared with gesso and paint. I choose some scrapbook papers and added the back of a McCalls sewing pattern- one from the Brook Shields line. (That should date it in the 80s.). I adhered my papers to the block and then started adding paint.

Then I had to decide what I wanted to create. Since the pattern envelope was nearly covered up, I added some cardboard from a box I had in my craft room. I tore away the layer to reveal the neat texture, and so the process continued.

I used a fabric sticker for my bird. I used a white Faber Castell big brush pen to define my clouds, various gelatos to add color to some of the elements, and a Pitt pen to draw black lines. I used various stamps to add texture. The stickers are from Tim Holtz.

Thanks for the fun challenge, Mou.

I have more large painting to do this weekend- elements for the theater set in town. It's fun to do what you love in different settings. Thanks for stopping by!


1 comment: