Tuesday, March 31, 2015

April Showers with Mixed Media

The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog has geared things up this month. We have a fun challenge with some prizes from DecoArt!


I'm so thankful (as well as my team members) to DecoArt for graciously sharing their awesome products with us. I'm so excited to share what I created. DecoArt has a line of products specifically for mixed media artist. The line is called DecoArt Media (click the link to view the product line).

My project was quite large. I worked on a 20" square canvas. I collaged various papers on it, then used this wonderful DecoArt product called Crackle Paste.  I used various stencils and a palette knife to apply it, then let it dry. I hope you can see the wonderful texture it made.


The theme for this month's challenge is April Showers. If you are participating, this can be anything from umbrella's, to clouds and rainbows, to  - well.... the sky is the limit (literally!).

I chose to paint coneflowers after a fresh rain shower. The next wonderful DecoArt product I used was the Fluid Acrylic paint. I used it in a variety of ways from dripping and spraying with water, using it like watercolor, and also direct application and line work. I love these paints! I also used their Gesso (white) to separate some of the background from the foreground over some of my collage papers. It's great, too.

"After the Rain" 20" x 20" by Melanie Douthit


Here's a closeup of the paint OVER the crackle paste.


In order to participate, go to the main Mixed Media Challenge Blog and upload the link for the project you created for this month's theme. There will be 3 random winners and each will win a  prize package of DecoArt Media products. How cool is that!



I hope you are inspired by this month's challenge. We can't wait to see what you create.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!








8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful such great texture and colour x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw these gorgeous cornflowers on FB and loved reading about the process! What a wonderful canvas and beautiful way to decorate a wall! Love that crackle texture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They way you painted those flowers is just gorgeous. It gives them such a wonderful, eye catching look. You made it look like it is raining color. I also love all the lovely textures and layers of the background. Fabulous work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They way you painted those flowers is just gorgeous. It gives them such a wonderful, eye catching look. You made it look like it is raining color. I also love all the lovely textures and layers of the background. Fabulous work.

    ReplyDelete