Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Upcycling with Indigo Dye Part Two

Yesterday I started a post about the shibori tie dye method using natural indigo dye.

Today I'm showing more photos.


 I wore gloved because this will stain your skin.



In this photo, I'm cutting the strings on one of the pieces I tied.


Rinsing the pieces in clear water.


My Lucky Brand shirt after I dunked it briefly for more color. Still in oxidating stage.


My sister-in-law gave me most of these items to play with. My backyard looked like a hippie village. LOL. 

So, everything had been laundered a second time (to make sure the dye was washed out) and here are what my new pieces look like.



This is my Lucky Brand shirt. I just love it. It's so soft.

This is the Old Navy cami. I wore this to a store right after taking the photo and the clerk immediately said "I love your outfit". 

And so for the final photo - the sale rack cold shoulder dress that started it all. I had decided that I wanted a coral color for my clearance rack ivory dress. I picked up some Rit dye colors that should have given me a coral, but instead came out pink - still pretty.  My daughter was intrigued with this, so she wanted a dress and believe it or not there was ONE LEFT at the store (Target) on the clearance rack. Since I had already used the indigo kit - she wanted - you guessed it BLUE - so I went with more Rit. (note -after the fact, I realized that I should have bought the dye for synthetic fabrics since the nylon slip it came with would have taken the color. Still learning!)  So here we are on Father's Day with our (first ever) Mother / Daughter dresses. 


This whole adventure was so much fun. I will be keeping my eye out for a great bargain on white cotton sheets so I can transform them into something - just for fun. 

Thanks for stopping by! I hope I have inspired you to try something like this. Let me know if you do.


No comments:

Post a Comment