Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Mixed Media Flowers and Vase

I'm posting this before/after artwork for the March challenge on the Design Memory Craft's blog. I love using paper, stickers, paint, stamps and ink on my collage pieces. This one is something I haven't done before in mixed media - a flower vase collage.

I love using wood for my mixed media pieces. They give them a rustic (and green) feel. First I primed the wood with gesso, then painted the sides. I then started layering tissue, papers, etc... usually freehand cutting (is that a word) the shapes for each piece. Here is a photo of the progress.

There's a lace doily at the top (found object in a box of giftwrapping and decorating items). I used Faber-Castell's gelatos (blue and green) to shade the sides of the paper. I applied it directly to the piece and used my finger with a bit of water to spread it out randomly.

I added stickers and wassi tape. I added paint to the flowers. I used a Pitt pen to draw some of the leaves and accent various places. I used stamps, ink, paint and various textures all over the piece. - finishing off with a few more stickers and some butterflies.

Once I call a piece "done", it gets its hardware and it's ready for hanging. The size of this is 11.5" x 5.5".

Thanks for stopping by today and have a great week.


1 comment:

  1. I love your flower and vase mixed media piece. I'm partial to flowers-they were my first subjects when I started seriously painting. Your piece is cheerful and whimsical!

    Jill

    ReplyDelete